- Objective: To promote art and culture, encourage creative design and discover talented designers, and boost the added value of cultural and creativity.
- Organizer: National Taiwan University of Science and Technology
- Competition Website: zodiac.ntust.edu.tw
- Theme: Chinese Lunar Zodiac Sign of the Rat
- Entry Categories
(1) Graphic Design: Pattern Design / Visual Design (Any techniques are acceptable)
(2) Cultural and Creative Product: Any categories are acceptable.
- Eligibility: Any individuals interested in the competition theme are welcome to submit their entries.
- Registration Fee: Free
- Submission Dates and Times: Jun. 20th to 24:00 on Aug. 20th (Taipei Time, GMT+8), 2019.
- Number of Entry Submissions Allowed: Each entrant may submit no more than two entries in total. Application information, Declaration and Authorization form must be completed for each submission.
- Entry Submission Requirements
The entry must have been originally created by the Entrant and not have been previously published. NO entrant name or any information relevant to entrant should appear on the entry. Failure to meet either requirement may result in dismissal from review. Specifications regarding both entry categories are outlined below:
Category Graphic Design Cultural and Creative Product Specs ONE picture of computer graphic or ONE picture of illustration.
Picture of computer graphic:
A1 size work saved as JPG (59.4x84.1cm, 300 dpi, CMYK) with file size no greater than 20MB.
Picture of illustration:
JPG (1684x2384px) with file size no greater than 20MB.
ONE picture of a physical work or ONE 3D image.
A1 size saved as JPG (59.4x84.1cm, 300 dpi, CMYK) with file size no greater than 20MB.
Picture of the Physical Work:
JPG (1684x2384px) with file size no greater than 20MB.
- Registration and Submission Guidelines
Complete an Entry Form on http://zodiac.ntust.edu.tw Submit a Delectation and Authorization Form
(must be signed by the Entrant)
Submit an Entry Registration Completed
Note: The entry, along with the Declaration and Authorization form, must be submitted before the specified deadline. Any omission(s) of the said items, or failure to meet any requirement(s) regarding registration, will result in the disqualification of the entry.
- Selection Criteria: Professionals and academics representing the disciplines of design and art will be recruited to review and select the submitted entries. The prizewinner list will be released on the competition website after the review process is completed. The jury reserves the right not to choose any entries for a given award if there is no entry it deems to meet the established criteria for that award.
- Awards and Prizes for Each Category
(1) Gold (1 winner): prize money of NT$100,000 (approx. US$3,200) and one Certificate of Merit.
(2) Silver (1 winner): prize money of NT$50,000 (approx. US$1,600) and one Certificate of Merit.
(3) Bronze (1 winner): prize money of NT$30,000 (approx. US$960) and one Certificate of Merit.
(4) Highly Commended (3 winners): prize money of NT$10,000 (approx. US$320) and one Certificate of Merit.
(5) Honorable Mention (A certain number of entries will be selected.): One Certificate of Merit.
※ All monetary prizes are subject to tax withholding in accordance to applicable tax laws in
- Exhibition: All winning entries, as well as rejected entries that are otherwise recommended for exhibition, will be publicly displayed by the Organizer.
- Rights and Obligations
(1)The Entrant grants to the Organizer, as well as any third parties sub-licensed by the Organizer, the rights to the exploit the Entry for non-profit purposes (including but not limited to: evaluation, promotion, media publication, and academic research) at no charge by means of reproduction, adaptation, distribution, or public display/broadcasting/presentation/transmission and without any limits to duration, location, frequency and format. The Entrant agrees that the Organizer is not required to pay additional remuneration for the use of the Entry, and that he/she shall not exercise his/her moral rights of copyright against the Organizer and sub-licensed third parties.
(2)If the Entry is selected for the Gold/Silver/Bronze/Highly Commended Award (hereinafter referred to as the “Award-winning Entry”), the Entrant shall agree that the copyright of the Award-winning Entry shall be jointly owned by the Entrant and the Organizer, effective henceforth on the date of the prize announcement, and both the Entrant and the Organizer can independently exercise the jointly owned copyright or sub-license any third parties to exploit it, without additional payment to the other party. The Entrant shall also agree that he/she will not exercise his/her moral rights of copyright against the Organizer and sub-licensed third parties, and that the Organizer is not required to pay additional remuneration to the Entrant. If an “Award-winning Entry” is considered for commercialization or relevant matters, the Entrant shall provide design documentation and assistance necessary for revision.
(3)If an “Award-winning Entry” for the Cultural and Creative Product Category is considered for patent application filing, the Entrant shall a) assign the Organizer the right to file a patent application (invention/utility model/design) with respect to the Award-winning Entry in the Republic of China and any other countries or regions where it is possible for the Entrant to file the patent application, b) provide documentation and assistance necessary for the application and maintenance of a patent, and c) keep under strict confidentiality the information regarding the design and R&D process of the “Award-winning Entry”. If the Organizer, after being granted the patent right of the “Award-winning Entry”, sub-licenses any third parties to exploit the granted patent on a royalty basis, it shall reward 50% of the royalty income to the Entrant (deduct the royalty income from all the fees required for the patent application and reward 50% of that deducted royalty).
(4)The Entrant agrees to license the Organizer, as well as any third parties sub-licensed by the Organizer, to exploit the Design Concept at no cost, which is described in the Entry Form.
(5)The Entrant agrees that the Entry, if on exhibition, be photographed without a tripod or flash.
(6)The Entrant confirms that the Entry does not in any way infringe upon the copyrights, patent rights, or trademark rights of others, or involve any illegal activities. Should the Entry be deemed to involve plagiarism or infringe upon the works of others, the Organizer shall remove the Entry from exhibition and rescind the prize (if any) immediately and demand the return of the Certificate of Merit, prize money and the royalties rewarded, if any. The Entrant is solely responsible for any civil or criminal liability incurred as a result of his/her illegal activities. In the event of any damages caused to the Organizer by the Entrant’s breach of this provision, the Organizer shall demand compensation from the Entrant.
(7)The Organizer shall immediately notify the Entrant of any lawsuit(s) filed by a third party against the Organizer over any alleged infringement(s) of copyrights, patent rights, trademark rights or other rights pertaining to the Entry. The Entrant must, on a gratuitous basis, assist the Organizer forthwith in resolving the legal dispute and compensate the Organizer for all the losses thereof (including but not limited to compensation for the third party, ligation costs, and attorney's fees).
- By participating in the Competition, the Entrant agrees to comply with all the terms and conditions stipulated in the Competition Rules. The Organizer reserves the right to alter, amend, modify, suspend or terminate the Competition at any times as it deems ¬fit. For matters not included in the Competition Rules, the Organizer shall announce the relevant amendments in a timely manner.
- Any disputes or controversies pertaining to the Competition shall be adjudicated in accordance with the laws of the Republic of China (Taiwan) and litigated exclusively in the Taipei District Courts as the court of first instance. In case of any discrepancy between the Chinese original and the English translation of the Competition Rules, the Chinese original shall prevail.
※ Competition email: email@example.com. Telephone: +886-2-2730-1182.